Re: async-shell-command

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: async-shell-command
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2016 13:44:53 -0700

> Of course, this is extremely hackish. I thought that stock Emacs could use
> the prefix argument to `async-shell-command' for something else than "make
> this synchronous after all, and put the result at point", which seems odd
> (and not documented, btw). For instance, C-u M-& might /not/ show the *Async
> Shell Command* buffer, and when some option is set, this hiding/showing
> behavior would be reversed (as in my solution). OTOH, maybe the current way
> of doing things is fine, and just needs mentioning in the docstring?

> Any ideas?  WDYT?

None of the current invocation commands use a prefix argument to control
display, so this would be a departure from established practice. I think the
change you've described is better done locally, for those who want such
behavior.

Another way of doing this that might be nicer would be to check if the
shell-command string ends in "&!" instead of "&", and to take that as an
indication it should be executed both asynchronously and "silently" (without
display).