Re: emacs-25 10597c9: Don't use 'find-program'

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs-25 10597c9: Don't use 'find-program'
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2016 20:39:03 +0300

> From: Glenn Morris <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2016 13:15:06 -0400
>
> So:
> find -exec grep
>
> should use find-grep-program
>
> but
> find -exec rhubarb
>
> should use find-program?

Why are you assuming that any 'find' job would necessarily use -exec?

> Please can you give me an example of when this would make sense.

Did you ever need to customize this variable, on any system?  Because
if you didn't, I'm not sure you will ever be able to understand the
need.  Users of GNU/Linux will never need to use this variable.

But since you asked: you might have 2 versions of 'find' (under
different names), one that is good at invoking programs via -exec, the
other that supports the -print0 action.

Basically, imagine a system with several different ports of 'find',
each port with its own advantages and bugs.