Re: Docstrings and manuals

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Docstrings and manuals
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 18:30:49 +0200

On 2016-04-18, at 15:47, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

> This said, the manual was also intended to be used as
> a plain-old-burnable book.  So if we decide to reduce the amount of
> "reference info" by referring to docstrings, that means we mostly give
> up on using lispref as a book and instead we force its use from
> within Emacs.  I think it's an acceptable choice, but I wouldn't be
> surprised to hear other opinions.

Like mine.  Back in the old days, when I was a student and had a lot of
time, I read most of the Emacs manual.  (Yes, I did it on my computer,
but today I'd probably do it on my ebook reader.  And I have the Elisp
reference on said reader, and I used to read it while commuting some
time ago.  Referring to docstrings would only aggravate me.)

>         Stefan

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski