Re: emacs-25 10597c9: Don't use 'find-program'

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs-25 10597c9: Don't use 'find-program'
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 21:45:56 +0300

> From: Glenn Morris <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 12:10:50 -0400
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > Why are you assuming that any 'find' job would necessarily use -exec?
>
> I'm not, I'm giving it as an example.

Your example made the issue look absurd because it used -exec in both
cases.

> Also eg check-declare-directory simply hard-codes -exec, and you changed
> that one.

Because it calls grep.

> Please also note that the Emacs build process simply uses "find"
> (which is part of POSIX), with both -exec and -print.

I'm not talking about building Emacs, I'm talking about using it.

> > Basically, imagine a system with several different ports of 'find',
> > each port with its own advantages and bugs.
>
> I think a system where you have to think which version of find to invoke
> depending on what you want to do is a mis-configured system.
> I'd just install GNU find and get on with life.

GNU Find ports are the broken ones I meant above.

Plus, there's a find.exe on Windows that comes with the OS, and does
something very different.  That in itself is already a reason to
rename GNU Find, at least once.

> (Also, grep-xargs-program should just be called xargs-program again.
> Hopefully you don't need two versions. :))

Actually, xargs ports are even more broken than those of Find.