Re: vc-state and unregistered

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: vc-state and unregistered
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 10:10:59 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Dmitry,

>> I've checked a little bit more. If we use nil instead of unregistered as
>> result from vc-state, we cannot use file properties for this function
>> anymore. nil is meant as "no property set". This would be a regression.
>
> Regression how? We already do exactly that: return `nil' in vc-state
> to mean "unregistered or unknown", and have been doing this for a
> while.

I don't mean this. The problem is how vc caches values. It uses file
properties, and in case `vc-file-getprop' returns nil, it assumes the
property is not cached. Consequently, we can never cache the value nil
for the file property `vc-state'. That is a regression, compared with
caching the value `unregistered'.

Best regards, Michael.