Re: A vision for multiple major modes: some design notes

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: A vision for multiple major modes: some design notes
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2016 08:38:04 -0400

Are you saying that there won't be a character with thpe "open island"
in the syntax table, but rather a text property will give a particular
string in the buffer the "open island" syntax?

That makes more sense.  But I think that in some cases "separate
islands" might be a better designation.  For instance, consider the
three sections of a Bison input file.  They are separated by a
delimiter.  It would be artificial and arbitrary to try to divide up
the delimiter into a string to end the previous island and a string to
start the next one.

Which reminds me that the first island in the Bison input file
has no string to "open" it.  It starts at the start of the buffer.
And the third island ends and the end of the buffer.

--
Dr Richard Stallman