Re: Emacs pretest 25.0.93

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs pretest 25.0.93
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 22:14:33 +0300

> From: Kaushal Modi <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 19:09:18 +0000
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> I don't have the setup to build emacs on Windows. So I tried applying your
> patch just to <emacs extracted
> dir>/share/emacs/25.0.93/lisp/faces.el, recompiling faces.elc and restarting
> emacs. But the variable-pitch is
> still "Sans Serif" family instead of being set to Arial.

No, it's not Sans Serif, it's Arial, just the bold-italic variant of
it.  Try this:

  M-: (face-font 'variable-pitch) RET

What do you see?

> On my windows, C-h v system-type gives windows-nt. So I replaced w32 with
> windows-nt, recompiled
> faces.elc, restarted emacs, and still nothing happened.

faces is preloaded, so it's not enough to recompile it.  And w32 is
correct, since it should name the frame type (a.k.a. 'window-system')
value, not the system type.

> I am not sure I any of my previous emails were received, but FWIW, I cannot
> figure out if edits to that faces.el
> are being effective on Windows, or if that patch is working for me.

You need to dump Emacs after byte-compiling faces.el.