Re: Recent commit modifying mark-whole-buffer (master/aeb613ea95b7970e66

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Recent commit modifying mark-whole-buffer (master/aeb613ea95b7970e66d663ec5cba54e9ec0528fa)
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2016 10:41:39 -0400

> That was my original idea, but I think Drew is right that if somebody
> has said
> (read-from-minibuffer (propertize "foo" 'face 'bold))
> it's pretty unlikely that they want `bold' merged with the blue face...

FWIW, I disagree.  I expect on the contrary that if the author wrote
(propertize "foo" 'face 'bold), he meant "make this thing bolder than
the rest" rather than "make this thing bold and override the default
minibuffer prompt's face for all other properties".

> I mean, they can also bind `minibuffer-prompt-properties', but
> that's...  not very convenient, since it has other, necessary
> properties, or redefine the minibuffer-prompt face, but that's also not
> what you want to do for a single prompt.

You can use (propertize "foo" 'face '(bold default)) when you want to
override the default minibuffer prompt face.

        Stefan