Re: A Modest Proposal

From: Alan Third
Subject: Re: A Modest Proposal
Date: Sun, 1 May 2016 19:24:38 +0100

On Sun, May 01, 2016 at 06:28:04PM +0300, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> On 05/01/2016 06:16 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> >>My modest proposal is kinda suggesting that `insert-directory' would go
> >>away -- to be replaced by (something like) `ls-lisp--insert-directory'.
> >
> >Users of Posix platforms will curse you if you do.
>
> Yes. Listing files using external tools is usually faster.

I semi-regularly list large directories on remote Windows shares and
Emacs's built-in ls is so slow as to be useless. I have to use a
Windows native version of ls that someone's written. If that
capability was removed I'd hope that some work was done on Emacs
performance.

(To be fair to Emacs, GNU ls from Cygwin is even slower, in fact, it
hangs before displaying anything.)
--
Alan Third