Re: iimage.el and the size of the images

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: iimage.el and the size of the images
Date: Tue, 03 May 2016 16:41:08 +0200

Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:

> I just learn about iimage.el, which is now part of GNU emacs core. I
> like it quite a lot, the only thing which I find a bit inconvenient on
> my 12 inch Laptop is the size of the images displayed. I did not find
> any variable in which the size of images could be changed.

> The author's address does not work anymore, so I looked at the code it
> seems that the essential part is this:

>   (if arg
>                   (add-text-properties (match-beginning 0) (match-end 0)
>                                        `(display ,(create-image file)
>                                                   ^^^^^
>                                          modification-hooks
>                                          (iimage-modification-hook)))

Lars Ingebrigtsen has been working in that area recently.  He installed
some patches that made scaling displayed images very easy (in the master
branch AFAIK).

Lars, do your patches affect iimage.el as well - or should they?

> However
> ,----
> | max-image-size is a variable defined in ‘C source code’.
> | Its value is 10.0
> `----
>
> So I cannot change that value easily.

Why not?  Doesn't `setq' change the value?

However, I'm not sure what this variable really means (I don't
understand the docstring).

Michael.