Re: good examples of Emacs modules?

From: Philipp Stephani
Subject: Re: good examples of Emacs modules?
Date: Tue, 03 May 2016 20:48:49 +0000

Syohei Yoshida <address@hidden> schrieb am Sa., 2. Apr. 2016 um 04:10 Uhr:
Hi,

> Syohei, I really like what you did and I would be interested in your
> feedback on what could be improved, what should we add&optimize in the
> module API, etc.

I want vector(or list) and hash table API(there are some vector API in
emacs_env).
I know that we can use them via env->funcall, however we need a lot of code for
using them(intern function name, set arguments to emacs_value array,
env->funcall).
I think it is useful if we can handle vector, list, hash table easily.

I think the API should be kept as small as possible. Every environment member has to be designed, maintained, etc. If we add vector, list, and hash table functions, why stop there? Why not add buffer and string functions? Or process and network functions? I think new functions should only be added if they either solve a problem that could not be solved otherwise, or the replacement code would be very awkward, or there is a proven significant efficiency gain.