Re: M-x send-emacs-patch

From: Richard Copley
Subject: Re: M-x send-emacs-patch
Date: Thu, 5 May 2016 22:16:41 +0100

On 5 May 2016 at 22:03, Clément Pit--Claudel <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 2016-05-05 16:42, Richard Copley wrote:
>> Yes there is, but I wouldn't like to go into it in a public forum.
>> Can patches to a GPL'd project be public domain?
>
> Yes, at least according to
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnulib.git/tree/doc/Copyright/conditions.text:
>
>     This means that if you want to contribute software to GNU, you have to
>     do something to give us legal permission to use it.  There are three
>     ways this can be done:
>
>     (...)
>
>     * Put the code in the public domain.  Then there is nothing to stop
>     hoarding of modified versions, but we can still use the program in GNU.
>
> Hopefully that works for you!

Thanks Clément. It's not my place to decide on this, but it doesn't
sound to me as though it addresses my question, which is different
from the question of whether a patch would be acceptable to the FSF;
namely, does the GPL prevent me from putting a modification to a
GPL-licensed work into the public domain in the first place?