Re: M-x send-emacs-patch

From: Clément Pit--Claudel
Subject: Re: M-x send-emacs-patch
Date: Thu, 5 May 2016 17:30:15 -0400

On 2016-05-05 17:16, Richard Copley wrote:
> Thanks Clément. It's not my place to decide on this, but it doesn't
> sound to me as though it addresses my question, which is different
> from the question of whether a patch would be acceptable to the FSF;
> namely, does the GPL prevent me from putting a modification to a
> GPL-licensed work into the public domain in the first place?

Ah, sorry for the confusion. The GPL does not prevent you from releasing your
contributions in the public domain (that is, it is OK to release your
contributions in the public domain; the GPL doesn't prevent you to do so; CC0
is a good way to do that). In fact, your contributions will stay in the public
domain even after they are integrated into Emacs (though future modifications
by other volunteers will be GPL'd):

    If a program combines public-domain code with GPL-covered code, can I take
the
    public-domain part and use it as public domain code?
    (#CombinePublicDomainWithGPL)

        You can do that, if you can figure out which part is the public domain
part
        and separate it from the rest. If code was put in the public domain by
its
        developer, it is in the public domain no matter where it has been.

See also https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLUSGovAdd,
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#AssignCopyright, and
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#PublicDomain .

Clément.