Re: M-x send-emacs-patch

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: M-x send-emacs-patch
Date: Sat, 07 May 2016 14:36:19 -0400

      > > If you put the program in the public domain, we prefer to have a
signed
      > > piece of paper--a disclaimer of rights--from you confirming this.  If
the
      > > program is not very important, we can do without one; the worst that
could
      > > happen is that we might some day be forced to stop using it.

The case of a separate program and the case of a contribution to Emacs
are different.

When people contribute a new GNU package, we don't ask for any legal papers
unless they want the FSF to enforce the GPL for it.

Emacs already is an FSF-copyrighted GNU package.  We could consider accepting
a change without legal papers, but it would be an exception.

--
Dr Richard Stallman