RE: Remove "Recent messages" from `M-x report-emacs-bug'

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Remove "Recent messages" from `M-x report-emacs-bug'
Date: Mon, 9 May 2016 07:44:52 -0700 (PDT)

> Emacs bug reports include the ten most recent lines from the *Messages*
> buffer.  I think that's kinda unfortunate -- there may be private stuff
> there that people are not expecting to share with the world.
>
> And I've never found that data useful when doing bug triage.
>
> Should we remove it from the report?

It should possible for a _user_ to easily decide this, and not
just for the most recent lines from *Messages*.

Users should be able choose the default behavior for themselves -
which types of info to automatically include when they use
`M-x report-emacs-bug'.

And if they choose to not include certain types of info by default
they should still be able to easily include it interactively, for
any given bug report.

Library `emacsbug+.el' offers this, with option
`ebp-report-emacs-bug-included-fields' and these commands:

 `ebp-insert-all', `ebp-insert-features',
 `ebp-insert-load-path-shadows', `ebp-insert-major-mode',
 `ebp-insert-minor-modes', `ebp-insert-recent-input',
 `ebp-insert-recent-messages', `ebp-insert-settings',
 `ebp-insert-version'.

The default value of the option includes all of the fields:

  (version settings major-mode minor-modes recent-input
   recent-messages load-shadows features)

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/emacsbug%2b.el

So to satisfy only your concern, a user would only need to
remove `recent-messages' from the option value.  If your
suggestion of removing it by default were taken, then it
would just be removed from the default value of the option.

FWIW, I suggested such a user-control feature for vanilla
Emacs, but it was rejected.  See this (long) emacs-devel
thread:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2013-01/msg00431.html