RE: Remove "Recent messages" from `M-x report-emacs-bug'

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Remove "Recent messages" from `M-x report-emacs-bug'
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 09:20:17 -0700 (PDT)

>   > It should possible for a _user_ to easily decide this, and not
>   > just for the most recent lines from *Messages*.
>
>   > Users should be able choose the default behavior for themselves -
>
> Maybe it would be more useful to ask this question each time
> the user runs report-emacs-bug.
>
> It could ask, "Should Emacs insert information on your recent editing
> into the bug report?  (If you say yes, you will be able to delete any
> parts of that text from the mail buffer.)"  If the user says yes to
> this, it should insert all the data we would find useful.  If no, then
> none of it.
>
> This should be enough to protect the user anyone from leaking anything
> private.

Asking is not bad, as a default behavior.  But a user who is asked
should be able, while responding, to state whether s?he wants to
continue to be asked for subsequent bug reports.

Instead of all or none, present the user with the customize buffer,
to decide just which kinds of information to include by default.

It's not just about privacy, and it's not just about recent editing.
There can be other reasons why a user might not want to include (or
to bother with) different kinds of info.

1. It should be apparent to a user what info s?he is sending.
2. It should be up to the user to decide what s?he sends by default.
3. It should be easy (and obvious how) to change what gets sent for
   any given bug report - i.e., to do something different from what
   the user has chosen as preferred default behavior.
4. None of this should introduce inconvenience.  No bothersome
   questions each time you send a bug report, etc.
5. The bug report itself should be first, and any background,
   supporting information should follow, in the bug report.

In addition, I (too) think that everything sent should be in one
plain-text message, with no attachments (as now).  And I do not
think we should change the format (e.g. order of information)
gratuitously.