Re: Remove "Recent messages" from `M-x report-emacs-bug'

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Remove "Recent messages" from `M-x report-emacs-bug'
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 18:37:54 -0400

Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Glenn, is there a chance of getting the debbugs.gnu.org Exim
> installation to listen to port 587 (mail submission) in addition to port
> 25?

(As a reminder, please ask debbugs qs on help-debbugs.)
I guess it's possible. But:

1) Are there security implications? Will I get more spam?

2) By itself, AFAICS it won't do anything, since bug reports go to
address@hidden Are you proposing to change this to
address@hidden I'm not sure this is a good idea; eg it will make life
harder when y'all want to switch to the next bug tracker (it will no
longer be possible to just redirect bug-gnu-emacs to the new system).

3) Do you really think we are missing a significant number of reports
because "send an email" is too difficult? (We aren't capable of fixing
all the existing reports anyway.) Is "if you can't send this directly,
just copy and paste to your preferred mail client" that hard?

(Perhaps debbugs would benefit from a new maintainer, because these days
I seem to just say no to things.)