Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 d0d9f55: Allow newlines inside cl function ar

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 d0d9f55: Allow newlines inside cl function arglists
Date: Fri, 13 May 2016 11:47:56 +0300

> From: John Wiegley <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,
> address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 14:23:05 -0700
>
> A bug should be considered release blocking for 25.1 if:
>
>   1. It causes loss of user data.
>
>   2. It renders core functionality unusable without any acceptable workaround.
>      This includes: crashing, hanging, runaway memory consumption, exhaustion
>      of limited resources such as file handles, etc.
>
>      The extent of "core" is open to debate, but basically I mean features
>      used by a great many users.
>
>   3. The presence of the bug makes basic functionality annoying or cumbersome.
>
>   4. The presence of the bug would cause widespread breakage in community
>      packages, unless there is an acceptable upgrade path.
>
>   5. It impairs the goals of the Free Software Foundation.

Thanks.  However, items 3 and 4 are IMO too vague, and can fit almost
any issue, as the criteria are open to subjective interpretation.

Also, we used to have criteria related to the age of the bug, on the
assumption that old bugs are less likely to be critical.  I'm not
saying that we must keep such a criterion, but I think it should at
least be considered for inclusion.

> In other words, as long as the presence of bug X doesn't make Emacs unsuitable
> for use, I'm willing to live with bug X until the next point release.

This sounds like much more stringent criterion than the others.