Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 d0d9f55: Allow newlines inside cl function ar

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 d0d9f55: Allow newlines inside cl function arglists
Date: Fri, 13 May 2016 09:26:06 -0700

>> 3. The presence of the bug makes basic functionality annoying or cumbersome.
>>
>> 4. The presence of the bug would cause widespread breakage in community
>> packages, unless there is an acceptable upgrade path.

> Thanks. However, items 3 and 4 are IMO too vague, and can fit almost any
> issue, as the criteria are open to subjective interpretation.

Yes, if a person lobbies for a bug to be included in the blocking list under
these criteria, they'd need to do some convincing on these points.

> Also, we used to have criteria related to the age of the bug, on the
> assumption that old bugs are less likely to be critical. I'm not saying that
> we must keep such a criterion, but I think it should at least be considered
> for inclusion.

Sure, I'd be willing to add this.  A bug that's been in the past 5 versions of
Emacs can likely be in a 6th.

>> In other words, as long as the presence of bug X doesn't make Emacs
>> unsuitable for use, I'm willing to live with bug X until the next point
>> release.

> This sounds like much more stringent criterion than the others.

I meant it to summarize what a bug should "feel" like to be considered
blocking, but I didn't add it to the list. "Unsuitable" is even vaguer still.