Re: Making better use of the "release blocking list" [was: bug#23288: 25

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Making better use of the "release blocking list" [was: bug#23288: 25.0.92; Clicking on links inserts primary X selection]
Date: Fri, 13 May 2016 09:36:47 -0700

>> I want to know what works best for those doing the actual release work. Do
>> you want a timeframe? Do you want a release-blocking list?

> FWIW, I'd like to see more people working on the bugs deemed blocking the
> release. For instance, some of the bugs identify the commit that caused it,
> so the people who made those commits should hopefully step forward and work
> on the issues.

> Bottom line, there seems to be a certain dissonance between the announced
> release date and how we invest our resources. It's confusing, at least from
> my POV.

I couldn't agree more, Eli.

We're all volunteers, so I understand people are free to work on whatever
pleases them. But if those reading this are interested in the quality of our
next Emacs release, please dedicate your next several weeks to reducing the
blocking list to zero, even if that means just removing them from the list
after reviewing them.

Once we hit zero, and can stay at zero for at least several days, we will ship
and shift to 25.2/26.1 quickly after (there are already a few fixes queued up
for 25.2, as I understand; and development for 26.1 is currently underway).