Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 3b5e38c: Modernize ASLR advice in etc/PROBLEM

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 3b5e38c: Modernize ASLR advice in etc/PROBLEMS
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 04:47:31 -0400

> +These segfaults should not occur on most modern systems, because the
> +Emacs build procedure uses the command 'setfattr' or 'paxctl' to mark
> +the Emacs executable as requiring non-randomized address space, and
> +Emacs uses the 'personality' system call to disable address space
> +randomization when dumping.  However, older kernels may not support
> +'setfattr', 'paxctl', or 'personality', and newer Linux kernels have a
> +secure computing mode (seccomp) that can be configured to disable the
> +'personality' call.

I'm rather fuzzy on those issues, so I'm reading those descriptions
a bit more from the end-user point of view than I'm used to, and I find
them a bit confusing:  I think we should clarify at the beginning that
Emacs's *build* (more specifically the dump phase which) currently
doesn't work with ASLR (or exec-shield), but that the resulting binary
will work with ASLR and exec-shield just fine (assuming I've understood
correctly).

        Stefan