Re: Overriding the value of indent-tabs-mode in Emacs code

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Overriding the value of indent-tabs-mode in Emacs code
Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 18:40:30 -0500

Michael Heerdegen <address@hidden> writes:
>Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:
>> We do. Gradually. Using .dir-locals.el.
>
>Dumb question: why don't we just convert the files to the spaces
>convention, if that's the goal anyway?  Doing it gradually patch by
>patch (patches that are sometimes harder to read) seems to be quite
>troublesome...

It might be worth it, but it does cause a "blame shadow" across the whole
source tree at that point in history.  That is, when one is using 'git blame'
to find out the provenance of certain lines of code, one's view into the past
gets obscured by this single revision that touched gazillions of lines of the
Emacs source code.

This can be worked around, of course -- you just step back past that special
revision and try again -- but it is a bit of inconvenience when one is digging
through history.

(Subversion did something like this in 2006:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=858545)

Best regards,
-Karl