Re: Note on e65c307 breaks font-height

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Note on e65c307 breaks font-height
Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 15:18:02 +0200

> What exactly is in your .emacs file? That is, can you give a recipe to
reproduce the problem?

It's reproducible here with my

(custom-set-faces
 ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
 '(default ((t (:stipple nil :background "grey92" :foreground "black" :inverse-video nil :box nil
:strike-through nil :overline nil :underline nil :slant normal :weight normal :height 98 :width normal :foundry
"outline" :family "Courier New")))))

> Is there anything in your configuration (e.g., saved-desktop?) that mentions
:user-spec or user-spec?

No.

> Only one place in the Emacs Lisp code uses :user-spec:
font-setting-change-default-font. Perhaps it is causing the bug. Does the attached
patch fix the problem?

I suppose so but didn't try it yet.  IIUC it would defy the purpose of
that function.  I have no idea what ‘font-setting-change-default-font’
is really about.  I suppose it's related to themes but maybe someone
knows more.

My analysis so far is as follows: In ‘font-setting-change-default-font’
the disjunct (frame-parameter f 'font-parameter) always evaluates to
nil here.  Before your patch, the disjunct

                 (or (font-get (face-attribute 'default :font f 'default)
                               :user-spec)

always evaluated to nil.  After your patch it returns "Monospace 11" and
‘frame-font’ gets set to that and the frame's default font too.  IIUC
the height of the default face gets set to that value too but a new
frame gets the value from my .emacs.  As a consequence, customizing the
default face will present me different height values corresponding to
the frame where I start the customization from.  That is awfully weird.

Please try with my .emacs setting on your system and tell me what you
get.  Windows doesn't have (fboundp 'font-get-system-font) so the issue
is moot there.

martin