Re: Spurious "file errors" when making master

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Spurious "file errors" when making master
Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 17:19:10 +0300

> Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 15:59:29 +0200
> From: martin rudalics <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
>  >>> (message "%s" exec-path)
>  >>
>  >> Where do I put that?
>  >
>  > In emacs-repository-version-git, I guess: that's where the "Waiting
>  > for git" message is coming from.
>  >
>  > My crystal ball says exec-path will come out nil, btw.
>
> Your crystal ball is right, as usual btw.

So it's bug#20799, allright.  Hmm...

I'm not sure I understand why we invoke Git in this case: the
source-directory is known and used by emacs-repository-get-version, so
why cannot it do the same it does for an in-tree build, i.e. access
the files in .git/ directly, just relative to source-directory?  What
am I missing?