Re: BIDI LaTeX, displayed equation, paragraphs, kile

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: BIDI LaTeX, displayed equation, paragraphs, kile
Date: Sat, 28 May 2016 12:31:52 +0300

> From: Uwe Brauer <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 28 May 2016 08:34:04 +0000
>
> It seems that kile (a latex editor, which supports BIDI) is in one
> aspect superior/(or more natural) to the BIDI implementation of GNU
> emacs. Kile shows display equations (equations which are not inline)
> left-to-right, even if the are *not* separated by a newline from a
> paragraph which contains Hebrew text.
>
> I tried to play around with  `paragraph-separate' but failed to
> obtain a similar behavior.
>
> Anybody has an idea how to configure paragraph-separate (or
> paragraph-start) to get that behavior?

You can't: the value of paragraph-separate that Emacs uses for bidi
reordering is hard-coded, and cannot be changed.  (I tried to use the
buffer local value once, but gave up once I saw the values set by the
likes of texinfo.el -- they caused crashes.)

IMO, the right way of overriding the built-in paragraph direction is
by introducing special text properties, which major modes can set
according to their needs, not unlike font-lock.  Patches to that
effect are welcome.