Re: Note on e65c307 breaks font-height

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Note on e65c307 breaks font-height
Date: Sun, 29 May 2016 15:43:57 +0200

> I'm afraid that's not enough of a recipe for me to reproduce the
> problem. On Ubuntu 16.04 x86-64 if I change my ~/.emacs file so that
> it contains just the abovementioned code, and then run the shell
> command 'src/emacs -q --eval "(set-face-attribute 'default nil :height
> 80)"', I get a *scratch* buffer where evaluating (setq F
> (face-attribute 'default :font (car (car (cdr
> (current-frame-configuration)))) 'default)) yields a font object F
> that prints as #<font-object "-DAMA-Ubuntu
> Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-11-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1">, and (font-get F
> :user-spec) indeed yields "Ubuntu Mono 13" in emacs-25 whereas it
> yields nil in Emacs 24.5. OK, but what is the regression here? The
> display has the same (ugly) appearance in Emacs 24.5 that it does in
> emacs-25.

I have no idea what the --eval is for.  I suppose that if you don't get
the ‘dynamic-setting-handle-config-changed-event’ which arrives here
_after_ my .emacs setting gets applied you won't see the problem.

> And in both Emacs 24.5 and emacs-25 if I reapply .emacs the
> display changes to the same (nicer) appearance.

But in Emacs 25 I have to _manually_ reapply .emacs.  I have no problems
installing a workaround for this here.  Other users very likely will see
problems ...

> I'm afraid I can't reproduce a problem from this informal
> description. Perhaps if you could say exactly which code to run....
> That being said, does the attached experimental patch address the
> issue for you?

It gets me

dynamic-setting-handle-config-changed-event: Symbol’s value as variable is
void: default-face-font-user-spec

After that the .emacs setting is retained but I don't know whether the
‘dynamic-setting-handle-config-changed-event’ induced setting is not
applied because of what your patch changes or because of the error.

> Again, I'm not seriously proposing installing this,
> just trying to understand the problem.

martin