Re: Spurious "file errors" when making master

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Spurious "file errors" when making master
Date: Sun, 29 May 2016 15:44:31 +0200

> Yes, that's how it works for me.  If I try the attached debugging patch,
'make' chatters as follows:

> emacs-repository--version-git-1
/home/eggert/src/gnu/emacs/static-checking/.git/HEAD
/home/eggert/src/gnu/emacs/static-checking/.git
> emacs-repository--version-git-1
/home/eggert/src/gnu/emacs/static-checking/.git/refs/heads/master
/home/eggert/src/gnu/emacs/static-checking/.git
> Finding pointers to doc strings...
> Finding pointers to doc strings...done
>
> which is what I'd expect: git does not get executed. Martin, can you
investigate why git is executed in your case?

I have some 10 separate sub-directories in my emacs directories each for
the builds of the corresponding toolkit (Gtk, lucid, motif, ...).  These
are not tracked by git.  Could that be the cause?  The messages printed
by your patch are:

emacs-repository--version-git-1 /home/martin/emacs-git/release/.git/HEAD
/home/martin/emacs-git/release/.git
emacs-repository--version-git-1
/home/martin/emacs-git/release/.git/refs/heads/master
/home/martin/emacs-git/release/.git

martin