Re: Reify the cc-mode-common into an actual parent mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Reify the cc-mode-common into an actual parent mode
Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 13:37:15 -0400

> I think it is.  Although it is certainly open to a mode hacker to go
> through cc-langs.el adding in values for every language variable for her
> new mode, it is far less troublesome to use `c-add-language', which uses
> an existing mode (not necessarily one of the seven "blessed" modes) as a
> basis.

Using c-add-language is orthogonal to whether or not the new mode
derives (in the define-derived-mode) from another.

I don't think it would be correct for csharp-mode to derive from c-mode,
since the user may place settings specific to C (and inapplicable or
not desired for C#) in its c-mode-hook.

        Stefan