Re: Spurious "file errors" when making master

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Spurious "file errors" when making master
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 08:52:13 +0200

> So -- adding calls to 'message' fixes the bug?!?

Silly me.  Obviously not!!

> I'm afraid you will have to debug this more directly; I don't see how to do
more from a distance than I already have.

I was confused and applied your patch and tested it on the emacs 25
branch where the problem does _not_ happen.  Please disregard all my
prior messages where the word "release" appears in a path or file name.
Sorry.

On master I'm getting with your latest version.patch:

emacs-repository--version-git-1 /home/martin/emacs-git/quick/.git/HEAD
/home/martin/emacs-git/quick/.git
emacs-repository--version-git-1
/home/martin/emacs-git/quick/.git/refs/heads/master
/home/martin/emacs-git/quick/.git
emacs-repository--version-git-1 returns nil
emacs-repository--version-git-1 returns nil
emacs-repository--version-git-1
/home/martin/emacs-git/quick/.git/refs/heads/master
/home/martin/emacs-git/quick/.git
emacs-repository--version-git-1 returns nil
Waiting for git...
Error running git rev-parse: (file-error "Searching for program" "No such file or
directory" "git")
Finding pointers to doc strings...
Finding pointers to doc strings...done

Also

/home/martin/emacs-git/quick/.git/refs/heads

is empty and

/home/martin/emacs-git/quick/.git/HEAD

contains the single line

ref: refs/heads/master