Re: Spurious "file errors" when making master

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Spurious "file errors" when making master
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 19:26:57 +0200

>> /home/martin/emacs-git/quick/.git/refs/heads
>>
>> is empty
>
> Aha! That's it.
>
> I guess you've garbage-collected your repository, either by hand ('git gc')
or automatically,

Not by hand but during a pull git told me something about doing some
collection or packing.

> and that there is a file .git/packed-refs that contains a line like this:
>
> 8e22067d59f59ee3a39f5d4f95c27e8ea3c935d6 refs/heads/master

There is such a file and the number shown on that line is that returned
by ‘emacs-repository-get-version’.

> If so, someone (perhaps you?) needs to modify the
emacs-repository-get-version function in lisp/version.el to handle this situation.

On Windows I have done manual packing frequently and the ../heads
directory is not empty.  And on GNU/Linux if I manually call
‘emacs-repository-get-version’ it does return the number of packed-refs.
Queer.

martin