Re: Bug #22983 (syntax-ppss returns wrong result) is still open. Could w

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Bug #22983 (syntax-ppss returns wrong result) is still open. Could we fix it before the release, please.
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2016 02:25:22 +0300

On 06/08/2016 01:48 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

I think I'd be happy enough about it being fixed in master, if the fix
happens before the release.  :-).  The trouble is, if there's no
deadline, it'll never get fixed.

Why before the release in particular?

If you're interested in having it fixed sooner, please look into helping Vitalie in http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-04/msg00850.html. With hard-widen, maybe we won't need syntax-ppss-dont-widen after all.

Yes, I think having the binary toggle `syntax-ppss-dont-widen' purely to
direct the innards of the function is poor programming (since it
explicitly toggles a toggle inside a supposedly abstract function).

Abstract?

think an improvement would be to dispense with that toggle, and have two
distinct functions, one in place of `syntax-ppss-dont-widen' being nil,
and the other in place of `s-p-d-w' being non-nil.  The latter function
might usefully have an extra parameter specifying the base point that
parse-partial-sexp should be calculated from.  That would leave quite a
few options open for the internal logic of the function.

That wouldn't help in the multi-mode case, which is the primary use I have in mind for syntax-ppss-dont-widen.