Re: Redisplay: NS port, high CPU load

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Redisplay: NS port, high CPU load
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 13:22:34 +0300

> From: David Reitter <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 19:46:01 +1000
> Cc: address@hidden,
>  address@hidden,
>  address@hidden
>
> >> Also, I would suggest to check whether code like this should indeed
> >> trigger an update_frame_tool_bar.
> >>
> >>  (with-temp-buffer
> >>   (insert "XXX"))
> >
> > I don't think so.  It doesn't here.  How did you check that it does on
> > your system?
>
> Enable NSTRACE in nsterm.h, specifically for updates.
>
> Run an observe output.  Observe that the above causes an update to the
> toolbar, unlike evaluating other expressions.

If by "evaluating expression" you mean something like C-j or M-:, then
they might trigger redisplay regardless of the expression they
evaluate.

To be sure this triggers redisplay of the tool bar, you need:

  . emacs -Q
  . disable blink-cursor-mode
  . disable global-eldoc-mode
  . define an interactive function that does the above insertion, and
    then bind that function to a key (I used F8)
  . press F8 and see if update_frame_tool_bar is called