Re: Bug #22983 (syntax-ppss returns wrong result) is still open. Could w

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Bug #22983 (syntax-ppss returns wrong result) is still open. Could we fix it before the release, please.
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2016 19:29:54 +0300

On 06/11/2016 06:00 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
You mean, maybe something like `syntax-ppss-base' which, if non-nil,
would be the "1".  Various bits of software (mainly super modes) could
then set or bind this to non-nil values.

Yes, could be something like that.

If we follow this path, and not hard-widen, the proposal must carefully consider the existing use cases for font-lock-dont-widen. Because if syntax-ppss always widens, even if it uses a different base for the state computation, it will undo the effect of font-lock-dont-widen (because font-lock-fontify-syntactically-region calls syntax-propertize, and that calls syntax-ppss), at least to some extent.

Can we be sure that font-lock-fontify-keywords-region stays within the given limits without narrowing?