Re: Bug #22983 (syntax-ppss returns wrong result) is still open. Could w

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Bug #22983 (syntax-ppss returns wrong result) is still open. Could we fix it before the release, please.
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2016 01:28:16 +0300

On 06/11/2016 10:58 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

My gut feeling is that there's something wrong with the whole idea.

That often happens when a programmer stumbles on a problem of unexpected complexity.

Where is the documentation for the font-lock-dont-widen (etc.)
mechanism?  It has to exist.

I don't think anybody has written a manual entry for that. Especially not for its uses in third-party code.

First, consider what I've already written in this thread.

Second, the hard-widen thread has some discussion of the code inside Emacs using font-lock-dont-widen (and how a well-designed hard-widen could solve that problem, too). E.g., I see a reference to it in rmail-variables.