Re: Bug #22983 (syntax-ppss returns wrong result) is still open. Could w

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Bug #22983 (syntax-ppss returns wrong result) is still open. Could we fix it before the release, please.
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2016 00:06:56 -0400

>> We're talking about them because the cases where font-lock-dont-widen is
>> needed are conceptually the same as those where syntax-ppss would need
>> something else than 1, .....
> _Some_ of the use cases might exhibit this conceptual similarity.
> Some won't.

Can't think of any that won't.  Some may not care (e.g. because they
only use syntax-ppss and not font-lock), but I can't think of any where
we'd need/want to specify different values for the various packages that
could use such info.

> That's entirely the Wrong Thing to do.  We want syntax-ppss not to have
> ugly couplings with other functions.

I look at it from the exact opposite viewpoint: the packages that need
to set those boundaries may not even need/want to use syntax-ppss (or
font-lock) themselves, so it'd be completely wrong for them to have to
set a syntax-ppss-* variable (or a font-lock-* variable).

        Stefan