Re: Bug #22983 (syntax-ppss returns wrong result) is still open. Could w

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: Bug #22983 (syntax-ppss returns wrong result) is still open. Could we fix it before the release, please.
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 11:17:26 +0200

On 11.06.2016 21:58, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
I'm fighting blindfolded with my hands tied behind my back here. My gut feeling is that there's something wrong with the whole idea. Where is the documentation for the font-lock-dont-widen (etc.) mechanism? It has to exist.

Hi Alan,

the whole thing needs to be reflected from bottom. Not tied to exceptions like font-lock-dont-widen.

Why syntax-ppss might be useful at all? You told me the case lately: it provides a cache.

Okay. But when we really need the cache?

The solutions IMHO is first to restrict all usage of syntax-ppss to real necessity, employ parse-partial-sexp as far as possible instead. Once syntax-ppss is reduced and restricted, fixing and tailoring it should be easier.

Cheers,

Andreas