Re: Subject: Call for testers for GNU Hyperbole 5.12, a large, useful Em

From: Robert Weiner
Subject: Re: Subject: Call for testers for GNU Hyperbole 5.12, a large, useful Emacs package
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 00:32:55 -0400

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 12:02 AM, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
Great to hear that the project is back!

Thanks.  We would very highly value your feedback as you are always right on topic and deep into things.

Just one nitpick:

> (require 'package)
> (setq package-check-signature nil
>       package-enable-at-startup nil) ;; Prevent double loading of libraries
> (add-to-list 'package-archives '("RSW-Packages"
>                                  . "http://www.plasmas.biz/rswe/") t)
> (package-initialize)
> (unless (package-installed-p 'hyperbole)
>   (if (not (display-graphic-p))
>       ;; Installation of Hyperbole requires a non-dumb terminal
>       ;; instance of Emacs, i.e. under a window system.
>       (progn (message "(Hyperbole): Run Emacs under a window system to install Hyperbole")
>     (beep)
>     (sit-for 4))
>     (package-refresh-contents)
>     (package-install 'hyperbole)))

Yuck!

As I was saying...:)  Yes, I dislike this too.  It is just temporary but most of it is just to ensure people have package set up correctly.
Really, you should be able to just set an archive path and then call package-install and the right things should happen but that is not the case presently.

There's gotta be a better way.

We are open to suggestions.

Bob