Re: 33% speed up in CC Mode scrolling.

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: 33% speed up in CC Mode scrolling.
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 15:38:11 +0000

Hello, Richard.

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 07:15:44PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:

> I have found CC mode font lock such a nuisance that I sometimes
> turn it off.

> It is a good thing to have sped it up, but it might still be far too
> slow.  Perhaps we should go back to an older version that is fast enough
> even if it is more often wrong.

Or, why not just set `font-lock-maximum-decoration' to 2?  This runs at
~2½ times the speed of the default fontification (measured by scrolling
all the way through .../src/xdisp.c), and is barely slower than
`font-lock-maximum-decoration' being set to 1 (which merely fontifies
comments and strings).

Fair warning: setting `f-l-m-d', and making the setting work, is
difficult (see bug #23783).  One way is to do

    M-: (font-lock-refresh-defaults)

in a buffer after changing `f-l-m-d'.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).