Re: font-lock-syntactic-keywords obsolet?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: font-lock-syntactic-keywords obsolet?
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2016 15:34:55 +0000

Hello, Dmitry.

On Sun, Jun 19, 2016 at 06:22:09PM +0300, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> On 06/19/2016 06:18 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> > The region which will be scanned for the application of syntax-table
> > properties is expanded to the "logical" line containing the string.  The
> > critical thing is it is not expanded to EOB, even when removing the
> > terminating double quote.

> What's a "logical line"?

What you get when you resolve the escaped new lines, or the non-escaped
new lines inside a C++ raw string.

> Anyway, if all your scans are logically bound within the edit area, I
> see no reason why you can't implement a syntax-propertize-function,
> multiple scans or no.

There's no reason to do so, and it would cost a lot of time.  The
syntax-propertize-function stuff just isn't a good way of impelementing
CC Mode.

A critical reason, which I've told you before, is that on any buffer
change, the syntax-propertize-function mechanism blasts all s-t
properties out of existence from the point the change is made onwards.
This is wasteful of run-time, given that these properties are quite
expensive to apply.

> Maybe you'll need to hand-implement the logic corresponding to
> syntax-propertize-rules, but that's just work.

In this context, both "just" and "work" are curse words.  :-)

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).