Re: Emacs bug #23794; sort-line behavior regressed from prior Emacs vers

From: Robert Weiner
Subject: Re: Emacs bug #23794; sort-line behavior regressed from prior Emacs versions
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2016 13:03:53 -0400

On Sun, Jun 19, 2016 at 12:55 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> From: Robert Weiner <address@hidden>
>
> The problem with that approach is that each mode has to be aware of this and add a setting, really not much
> different than each mode having its own sort function or way of calling a sort function. It is much more useful
> to centralize the behavior within the sorting library, even if it adds some conditional complexity to the code.

Not necessarily: if you set that up in outline-mode, all of its
descendants will inherit the setting for free.

Ok.

> Here is the suggested patch to do it this way. -- Bob

One other possibility that is fairly clean is to add sort-visible-* functions to the sort library; then callers would just have to remember to call the visible or the regular version of the function and there would be no need for any new defcustoms.

Thanks, I hope others will comment on this.

Yes.