Re: font-lock-syntactic-keywords obsolet?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: font-lock-syntactic-keywords obsolet?
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2016 11:57:26 +0000

Hello, Stefan.

On Sun, Jun 19, 2016 at 10:58:44PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> If someones doesn't like something about syntax-propertize (or
> syntax-ppss), they should file a bug report.

I've tried doing this with an actual bug, namely bug #22983 "syntax-ppss
returns wrong result".  That was over three months ago, and still there
is no fix.  You don't appear to want to take any responsibility for
getting it fixed, even though it's in "your" code.

I've no expectation anything would be done about more abstract design
flaws reported as bugs.

> And if they want that thing to be improved, providing a good concrete
> case where the misfeature bites is always a good way to motivate
> people to fix it.

What I dislike about these things, as you well know, are the failings in
their fundamental design and the restrictions these place upon other
software, the way things were implemented before being thought through
properly.  So we have bug #22983, and we have the ghastly abortion of
low level code in syntax.c calling out to high level lisp code "just to
make sure things are propertized properly".

> E.g. the caveat regarding the use of syntax-ppss from
> syntax-propertize could be fixed if it's important enough (I don't
> think there's anything particularly hard about it).

If that was the sort of thing I was unhappy with, I'd have little indeed
to be unhappy about.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).