Re: Python interactive navigation around nested functions

From: Clément Pit--Claudel
Subject: Re: Python interactive navigation around nested functions
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2016 09:57:21 -0400

On 2016-06-20 04:28, Andreas Röhler wrote:
> On 20.06.2016 09:34, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>
>> So both python-modes behave identically in this respect.  That would not
>> be surprising if the behavior you don't like is the one usually
>> considered as right.
>
> Start and end of a functions definition is not about like or don't like.
> Also not about "usually considered".

I don't understand your aggressiveness, nor your point.  Stefan is just
pointing out that C-M-a doesn't usually go to the beginning of the enclosing
function definition (and the docs don't claim that it does, either):

  (beginning-of-defun &optional ARG)

  Move backward to the beginning of a defun.
  (...)
  With ARG, do it that many times.  Negative ARG means move forward
  to the ARGth following beginning of defun.

I agree with the OP that it would be very nice to have a way to go back to the
beginning of the "current" defun (some sort of super C-M-u).  But I don't
understand the vitriol.

Clément.