Re: font-lock-syntactic-keywords obsolet?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: font-lock-syntactic-keywords obsolet?
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2016 18:02:09 +0300

On 06/20/2016 05:50 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
So what if you have a literal that's longer than your chosen limit?

The limit would only apply in the case of a raw string missing a valid
terminator.  Strictly speaking that "literal" extends to EOB.

No, the limit would apply when you're searching for the terminator. If the string is longer than the limit, and you're at its beginning, you won't know whether it has a terminator or not. Or I don't understand what you're going to use the "limit" for.

A s-p-f could handle that. Your solution is basically a kludge. You're
lucky raw strings are rare in C++ now; in many other languages, a
normal string is not limited to a single line.

My solution is a good solution.  You're welcome to point out specific
technical shortcomings

I already did. Also see the example with lots of multiline strings in a buffer in another email.

Raw strings are no longer rare in C++.  That was what prompted Ivan
Andrus to push me for an implementation.

Raw strings are still easy, in that it's hard to mistake a raw string's opener for a raw string's closer.