Re: How to use string-to/as-unibyte correctly?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to use string-to/as-unibyte correctly?
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 05:36:28 +0300

> From: Leo Liu <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 07:40:31 +0800
>
> As part of discussion on bug http://debbugs.gnu.org/23750, I am
> wondering what is the deal with string-to/as-unibyte? How to use them
> correctly or are they in their way out (obsolete)?

Don't use them, period.  They are remnants from the era long gone,
before Emacs used Unicode and UTF-8 as the basis for its internal
representation of characters.  Nowadays the only place where such
conversions are sometimes needed are on the C level, deep within Emacs
internals.  Applications should never use them.

I'm okay with declaring them obsolete, if it helps.