Re: Change in handling of the Windows key

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Change in handling of the Windows key
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 18:24:11 +0300

> From: Richard Copley <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 11:46:14 +0100
>
> In recent-ish builds of the emacs-25 branch, I find that the Windows
> key is intercepted by Emacs and no longer opens the start menu. (The
> Windows key still opens the start menu if Emacs is not the foreground
> application.) Is this a deliberate change?
>
> (This is on Windows 7, which I have to use at work. On Windows 10 I
> can still open the start screen in the usual way.)

I cannot reproduce this.  I tried Emacs 25.0.95 on 2 Windows 7
systems, and the latest emacs-25 branch on XP, and in all 3 cases the
Windows key still works as it always did.

So some other factor must be at work here.

For starters, does this happen to you in "emacs -Q"?

> Isn't it too late in the release cycle to be adding such a disruptive change?

It is, which is why no one did any such changes.  In fact the Windows
keyboard support was not touched since April.