Re: Improving describe-mode and discoverability

From: Robert Weiner
Subject: Re: Improving describe-mode and discoverability
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 15:11:44 -0400

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 2:52 PM, Clément Pit--Claudel <address@hidden> wrote:
On 2016-06-23 14:46, Robert Weiner wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 2:29 PM, Clément Pit--Claudel <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
>
>     ‘C-M-q’ (prog-indent-sexp)
>           Indent the _expression_ after point.
>
> One small formatting suggestion is to surround the key sequences
> with curly braces, {C-M-q}.

Thanks! Isn't the convention to surround them in `single quotes' (which get translated into ‘curly quotes’), though?

​I just find that quotes are not unique enough and do not set off key bindings from other quoted items well.  Curly braces seem to do a better job, that is all.

By invoke the keybinding, do you mean browse to the source, or run the associated command? The latter would be undesirable, since most of these commands are going to be context-sensitive.

​You could make them do whatever you want.  The default is to invoke the key binding when one mouse button is pressed (shift-mouse2) and to show the key binding's full documentation ​when shift-mouse3 is pressed.  If a key binding is not useful within the current buffer, simply don't select it for execution.

And I like your idea.  You could also consider the formatting and hyperlinking from M-x apropos as a reference point.

Bob