Re: Python interactive navigation around nested functions

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: Python interactive navigation around nested functions
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 08:02:23 +0200

On 2016-06-26 15:29, Andreas Röhler wrote:
I think you're making a good point; and still the frustrating part
with a python-specific fix is that C-M-a will have a different
meaning depending on the programming language :/
Nope. A function definition as displayed here is pretty comparable
with its role in Emacs Lisp. A case would be def/class distinction -
which is not at stake.
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

So the confusion seems to be complete :)
What do you expact M-x beginning-of-defun RET to do in a Python source buffer?

BTW there is a cherished bug in Emacs Lisp, linked to open-paren-in-column-0-is-defun-start proceeding. C-M-a doesn't jump reliably to beginning of a functions definition there.
Do you suggest to expand this bug to all modes?

That would not just spread bad habits, getting familiar of inconsistent movements, but make the code useless for employment in templates and other functions.