Re: run tests from el files

From: Robert Weiner
Subject: Re: run tests from el files
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 17:05:59 -0400

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 4:41 PM, Phillip Lord <address@hidden> wrote:

I would like comments on this patch which I'd like to install on master.

The idea is to run tests of the .el files because they give nicer
stacktraces. I can see no downsides to this, but I don't understand
why the .elc files were used in the first place, so wanted to ask.

​I would think you would want to test both .el and .elc behavior since if there is an issue in​

​byte-compilation, it is possible an assertion might fail there while not failing in the source (and tests of the byte-compiler might have missed the issue).  Only the .elc behavior will be seen in production, so you want to be sure that is producing correct results but it certainly would be nice to get easy-to-read stack traces during any first pass testing.

Bob