Re: Emoji on Mac OS X

From: Clément Pit--Claudel
Subject: Re: Emoji on Mac OS X
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 10:48:24 -0400

On 2016-06-29 10:28, Jiege Chen wrote:
> Clément Pit--Claudel <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On 2016-06-29 08:11, Jiajie Chen wrote:
>>> By the way, I wonder when will multi-color font be supported on Linux?
>>> At that time the multi-color font will be re-enabled in NS port.
>>
>> See https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2015-12/msg00713.html
>> for the latest discussion on this.
>> I think the answer is "not for a few years, at least".
>
> So this may not be a very tough task, but it has a low priority and no one
> came up with a patch yet?
> It seems that freetype and fontconfig have the support while Xft doesn't.
> If I have time, I may try to do it. However my summer holiday is short and
> I have no such knowledge in fonts.

It doesn't seem so easy, actually.  When I wrote to the Xft mailing list about
working on this, the only answer I got was this:

> On 12/18/2015 02:16 AM, Michael Titke wrote:
>> Just add a video mode font (we'll need to "typeset" videos intext
>> anyway - what was layout then?) and replace user input with random
>> noise where DSP would have told those smart ones ...

(No idea what it meant.)

In any case once Xft has support for multicolor fonts we could patch Emacs, but
it would still take a while for the Xft update to propagate.

In any case, if you want to work on this, go ahead!
Clément.