Re: Differences between Org-Mode and Hyperbole

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Differences between Org-Mode and Hyperbole
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 20:30:53 +0300

> From: Tom <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 16:33:47 +0000 (UTC)
>
> Richard Stallman <rms <at> gnu.org> writes:
> >
> > The reason I don't know Org mode is that I'd have to start by learning
> > basic Org mode, which I am not interested in, before I see what its
> > specific features are.  At that point, I gave up.
>
> Orgmode has a very well written manual in info and therefore in html
> too:
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/org/index.html
>
> The top level page of the manual lists org features and you can
> dig down a node if you want to know more about it.

I'm not talking for Richard, but if I understand his point correctly,
you are missing it.

Let's take your suggestion, for example.  I go to the main menu of the
Org manual, and I see this list:

  * Menu:

  * Introduction::                Getting started
  * Document Structure::          A tree works like your brain
  * Tables::                      Pure magic for quick formatting
  * Hyperlinks::                  Notes in context
  * TODO Items::                  Every tree branch can be a TODO item
  * Tags::                        Tagging headlines and matching sets of tags
  * Properties and Columns::      Storing information about an entry
  * Dates and Times::             Making items useful for planning
  * Capture - Refile - Archive::  The ins and outs for projects
  * Agenda Views::                Collecting information into views
  * Markup::                      Prepare text for rich export
  * Exporting::                   Sharing and publishing notes
  * Publishing::                  Create a web site of linked Org files
  * Working With Source Code::    Export, evaluate, and tangle code blocks
  * Miscellaneous::               All the rest which did not fit elsewhere
  * Hacking::                     How to hack your way around
  * MobileOrg::                   Viewing and capture on a mobile device
  * History and Acknowledgments::  How Org came into being
  * GNU Free Documentation License::  The license for this documentation.
  * Main Index::                  An index of Org's concepts and features
  * Key Index::                   Key bindings and where they are described
  * Command and Function Index::  Command names and some internal functions
  * Variable Index::              Variables mentioned in the manual

Let's say, I'm interested in exporting my documents in various
formats, being told by many people that Org is excellent in that
area.  So I go to the "Exporting" menu item above, and I read this:

  12 Exporting
  ************

  The Org mode export facilities can be used to export Org documents or
  parts of Org documents to a variety of other formats.  In addition,
  these facilities can be used with `orgtbl-mode' and/or `orgstruct-mode'
  in foreign buffers so you can author tables and lists in Org syntax and
  convert them in place to the target language.

This sounds like saying that only documents formatted in Org formats
can be exported.  But I have plain-text documents, not Org documents,
so does this mean I cannot do this with Org?

Next, I try "Working With Source Code", because my friends tell meOrg
has this fascinating feature whereby you can embed source fragments in
your documents.  And I read this:

  14 Working with source code
  ***************************

  Source code can be included in Org mode documents using a `src' block,
  e.g.:

       #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
         (defun org-xor (a b)
            "Exclusive or."
            (if a (not b) b))
       #+END_SRC

Once again, this sounds like saying that my documents _must_ be Org
formatted, or the feature won't work.

Do you see the point now?